Wednesday, December 21, 2011

An Isaan Persprctive 21.12.11

I guess the "Bog Blog" is as good a place as any when talking about the Tourism Authority of Thailand. This story appeared online yesterday from the "Phuket News" and there were a few things that struck me.
The first thing hotel management did was accuse them.
Is it just me or does this the first line of defense regularly in Thailand when dealing with a problem,
Jet skis, motorbike and car rental, robberies, the customer is always at fault.
I am surprised they weren't charged for damage to the safe.
Next, as always, nobody knows anything.
CCTV security camera installed for the floor  was “misaligned”.
This along with, dummy cctv cameras, locked fire escapes seems to be the norm at the higher end tourist destinations.

And finally "Ms Wong asked for the CCTV camera to be repositioned for better security." WTF, why does she have to ask that the hotel align the camera and just how many cameras are misaligned.
But to me the real grabber is the comments.
It seems like this is a regular occurrence. Getting mugged by tuk-tuk and\or taxi drivers and hotel and jet ski rip-offs.
Where are the tourist police and all the other authorities. The other part is that everyone is always too embarrassed to open their mouths.
Recently, here in Khon Kaen I listened to a Thai gentleman talking about getting ripped off by a taxi driver, with the "meters not working" scam. When asked if he argued with the driver or reported it to anyone he repleied "Oh no, I couldn't do something like that"
Do tourists expect to get ripped off where ever they go?

I am just an old man in Isaan, but from my perspective  I sure as hell would not be back "Mr Nagi told the hotel owner that although he was dispirited by the incident, he would be back to stay at the hotel next year."
And to me none of them are operating with a full deck

1 comment:

  1. Another in a long line of rip-offs at the Tourism Authority of Thailand acclaimed World Class Destination. I am sure that the manager gave back 1/2 of what was stolen and pocketed the other 1/2.

    ReplyDelete